View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 10:42 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
My wife and I had a long serious talk.... some years ago. We covered the concept of need, desire, collections, hoarding, etc.. Available space was a major consideration. My wife actually came up with the idea of a substantial out building... that would provide space for storage of bikes and parts... as well as workshop space. Which made me realize I didn't really want a collection of bikes. I mean I have a need for more than a single bike... and I like to wrench on bikes too.

We finally worked out a agreement of 4 bikes. PLUS... I can pick-up any "project bike" I come across. But the project bike either replaces a bike I already own, or is sold after repairs and/or restoration.

I have room to hang 3 bikes in my garage, and I can park a 4th bike. I have room in my man-cave for two bikes (one hangs on the wall). So it works out pretty good. I saw a bike on Craigslist (a CAAD10) not long ago... That I couldn't past up. I bought it knowing full well that I would have to sell my old Cannondale R500. It was tough because I really liked the old Cannondale... but the new acquisition was a much nicer bike. And selling the old bike recouped most of what I spent on the nearly new [better] bike.

So over the years.... I've wrenched on winter project bikes.... sometimes turning junk into treasure. I've owned and ridden some really nice bikes. And I've sold more bikes than I would have ever guessed I'd ever own. My herd stays a pleasantly manageable size (4).... but the bikes just keep getting nicer.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 09-05-18 at 10:46 PM.