Old 10-26-18, 07:04 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
This is the root of all your problems it would seem.

The US is the most car-centric and debt-centric country that I am aware of, so much so that it is difficult, or even impossible for most people to function without a car or debt.
I didn't mean "poor" in the sense that I'm living under a bridge. 73% of Americans die in debt. Except for 7 years paying for a house I have kept ZERO debt my entire life. I have zero debt right now, live in a nice Lakeview cottage that is paid for, and have decent health. I have been retired or semi-retired for 30 years. The problem is the Unaffordable Care Act that bumped my health insurance up to $800/month with a $6000 deductible that I never reach (thankfully). So every yearly dermatology checkup, eye exams, dental checkups, etc,. I am STILL paying for them as well. I could lease a Lexus, pay the insurance, and fuel it all year for the money I pay for health insurance. I am definitely cash poor right now and 5 years away from Medicare.

Anyway....I am a "Pi$$-Poor" New Orleanean in the sense that I live a healthy lifestyle. I stay away from fatty/fried foods, alcohol, and tobacco. I go to sleep and wake up, I don't pass out and come-to like many locals. I am a very poor representative of what New Orleans is known for. I avoid festivals, which takes some doing since I live near City Park. I would be much better suited to Boulder, CO or San Diego/Los Angeles, CA. Can't afford any of those places.

I am not in debt but now living from check to check until something changes or I reach 65. I don't think most folks would call me poor in the sense of impoverished.