Old 02-01-19, 08:40 AM
Tundra_Man

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 194 Times in 124 Posts
Yesterday morning while it was still below zero it snowed about 1/2". The city didn't bother plowing for that little amount. Coming home from work last night wasn't too bad because the temp had risen to 13 (ABOVE zero!) and the snow was powdery.

This morning all that powdery snow had turned to slush from the cars driving on it, but as soon as it kicked up on my bike it froze almost immediately in the 6F temp. My brakes and drivetrain were a mess of frozen slush. When I'd shift (if it would shift) my chain would skip for a while until it wore the ice down and could grab the teeth. My brakes still worked, but not super well.

Now that I'm at work I put my bike in a heated basement to give it a chance to thaw out. Supposed to be mid to high 30s for the ride home. While I welcome the warmer temps, it's going to turn everything into an even slushier mess.