Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 08:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I do physical patches for flats in clincher tubes. Eventually I replace the tube but only after it has proven itself to be untrustworthy or has leaks at the patches, or patches at the patches. If I'm on the road, especially commuting, finding a small leak in a tube can be tough so I'll swap in a different tube and patch the leaky one when I get to work or home. I've done some physical patches of sew-ups but I'm not especially good at it and I don't have much free time to do it anyway. Stan's Tire Seal works well enough for small leaks and is especially good because it works fast. On a commute it lets me keep going without spending 10 minutes installing a spare tire (or 20 minutes swapping/patching a clincher tube). When I've collected at least two sew-ups that didn't seal well with Stan's or that have sealed but won't hold much pressure without blowing out again, I'll send them to Tire Alert. My time is worth more than it costs to pay Tire Alert to fix them for me, and he does a FAR better job! I've got one Vittoria that I'm thinking of just pitching because the tread shows so many small cuts that it is probably vulnerable to more.
Thanks. This tubular stuff is all brand new.