View Single Post
Old 09-12-19, 07:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 834 Posts
My Bikes Seem Jealous of Each Other...

I have three bikes and they reside in the shed alongside each other and my wife's bike. Over the last two months I have been acquiring parts to convert my old straight-bar Nishiki Blazer mountain bike to drop bars.

Last week I played with the new handlebars and stem before riding the Charge Plug to the office. Later that day the rear disc brake arm came apart. (I ordered a new one and replaced it last weekend.)

Tuesday morning I put the intended shifters in the shed before riding the Plug to work and the less-than-a-year-old rear wheel began squeeking. At lunch I rode it to the bike shop and on the way a shifter cable snapped. (The shop inspected the rear hub and said it was a little loose, regreased the bearings, tightened it and replaced the shifter cable.)

The new brake levers arrived Tuesday, so yesterday morning (Wednesday) I put those in the shed next to the drop bars and shifters. I decided to ride my 1984 Nishiki International to work. A mile from the office a rear drive-side spoke snapped. At lunch I rode to the bike shop for the second day in a row. And then on the way home, this happened:

Today, Thursday, I will ride the old mountain bike to work for what should be the last commute with straight bars before the conversion.

Heaven only knows what the other bikes will plan for me after that.