View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 08:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by ortliebsforever
I use the Ortleib top hooks that snap onto the rack, then use two of the Ortleib bottom hooks (on each bag) wherever they can be placed to securely engage with the rack, and then at the very bottom I attach a 1.5" wide velcro strap that goes around the rack bottom tube and pulls the bag firmly down onto the top hooks. I also use two .75" wide velcro straps next to each top hook. I can lift the bike by grabbing the carrying strap on the Ortleib and the bag does not shift. The velcro attaches to the bags by going under the plastic stiffners on the outside of the bag wherever there's a screw that can penetrate and clamp down directly on the velcro strap.

Velcro has never failed. Get creative with it and those bags will never shift on the racks. Removing the bag really is simple. If you stitch soemthing to the edge of the velcro to be used as a pull-tab to disengage the velcro the removal of the bag from the rack is easy.
My backrollers have always stayed where I put them with the Ortlieb hooks, I never found a need to add more velcro or anything else. I did put some plastic tubing on my racks to prevent chaffing. Photo shows the plastic tubing held on with electrical tape. But it is an older photo, this past summer for my tour I reduced the amount of electrical tape and used some zip ties to supplement the tape. The plastic tubing and a few layers of electrical tape over the Tubus Logo rack tubing is just right diameter to use the Ortlieb upper hooks without the inserts.