View Single Post
Old 09-25-19, 11:27 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
The CR720s work really well with short-pull road style brifters and feel identical at the levers to road calipers. In general these wide profile cantilevers work much much better than medium or low profile cantis. I see the person above me called them "medium profile" and it's true there are other ones with with even a wider profile but the 720s are wide enough to work well. The only reason to not always use wide profile cantis which have so much more mechanical leverage is the unfortunate fact they stick out far, can interfere with panniers if you have racks, and worst of all they might hit your heels if you have large feet and ride a smaller frame size, or they might scratch your legs as you dismount. If you can run wide on both front and back though do it because wide cantis work and feel great. I would call the CX50 medium-profile cantis. Low profile cantis are hell on earth with short-pull brake levers, don't go there, there's isn't enough leverage and your hands will never be strong enough.
Read the Sheldon link and you'll see why I call them medium profile. It's a bit of a historical term, because truly wide cantilevers have not been produced in some time, for some sound mechanical reasons. Wider than medium work worse.

I've had the opposite experience with short cantis. The best setup I rode was probably some Shorty Ultimates. You do absolutely need to set the straddle low with short cantis--their MA curve varies much more wildly with straddle height. Short cantis have the disadvantage of a more regressive MA curve, but have the advantage of having shorter arms that will, all things being equal, be less flexible.