View Single Post
Old 09-30-19, 07:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I was thinking of even pedestrians on the sidewalk walking the opposite direction of traffic. Many motorists making right turns do not bother looking right. They will look to their left, then when the lane is clear they hit the gas, and then they look to the right. If a pedestrian wasn't paying attention and happen to walk in front of that car, well, you get the picture. My buddy was hit this way by a pickup truck and was pinned under it for two hours. And I see this all the time as well, as a pedestrian. Shake my head every time.
Last month I took a long 45 minute walk along Danforth Avenue. Several times just when I was about to step off the curb at the pedestrian walk signal, a right turning driver raced in front.

Good thing I make it a habit of looking over my shoulders before making my move. When I step off the curb, I look left at the nearest car. As I cross over to the middle of the crosswalk, I look and stare at any left turning cars. Sometimes, they try to race you and cut you off. As I make it to the other side, I keep my eye on the right turning car trying to cut you off too.

I started this habit since I started bike commuting. A cyclist does have to look out for all the bad drivers. Sometimes they floor the gas right after you pass and that could be dangerous too. Your reaction to the sudden noise may just freeze you as you don't know if the driver is trying to cut you off or race behind you. A mistime or misjudgment by the driver, may result in a collision.