View Single Post
Old 10-26-19, 07:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4862 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I passed on buying them on sale earlier this year, in the name of frugality. How quickly the memory of winter passes in April!

Question - how warm outside is too warm to wear those? You know how it is, starting a ride at 30° and it's 55° 5 hours later.

Last winter I had good success with running flats and wearing Columbia winter boots. They were surprisingly versatile and I had a few rides start out under 30°F then continue for hours at 50°.
I use the Fasterkatts (sp); rated for 25F. I wouldn't want to ride them at 70F but nothing bad would happen. I wear them indoors, sometimes for hours, then step out and ride. My feet do not sweat in them.

They only get used for one of my three cleat systems. I also use regular shoes a size larger and double produce bags, first against my bare skin and last between my last warm sock and a thin men's dress sock. (The unfashionable thin, high, stretchy socks old men were laughed at for wearing are perfect.) Feet don't have to "breath". My feet are soaked when I get home, in warm sweat. My socks are dry, clean and insulating as well as when I put them on.

Ben