Old 12-31-19, 08:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Stay away from turning trucks and busses
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I was surprised to read this resurrected zombie thread, which was already long in 2015. That accident in the OP happened about one block from our condo in Kenmore Square
Originally Posted by rydabent
The fact remains a 200 pound bike and man should NOT assume the right of way, even tho he does have it. 200 pounds will always lose against a 3500 pound car or a 15000 pound truck or bus.

ALWAYS let the have their way, and stay alive. They may be in the wrong, but you stay alive.
Hi @rydabent,

FYA, just yesterday I posted to this other A&S thread, somewhat as an epilogue to this current thread:
”Thinking of no longer riding on roads"

I had previously posted to this recent thread, Giving up riding on the road.
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal
Personally, I happily resumed cycling five months after a serious hit by a car, with six weeks acute and rehab hospital, and three months off work.

Perhaps I may sound devil-may-care, but I even touted to this recent thread.:.
Best cycling city in USA?

I have posted about Boston:
Despite this stated bravado, just yesterday I saw a recumbent trike pass though my normally busy neighborhood of Kenmore Square, and had a change of heart.
…Kenmore has been likened to Boston's equivalent of Times Square, but it never descended to those depths. It is an intersection of three major thoroughfares as well as a point of convergence of three branches of the Green subway line (the (T)) before they emerge from underground to fan out westward.

Kenmore is the home of Fenway Park, so on game day, street and subway traffic is horrendous. It is also home to Boston University, so all-in-all is a lively place.
It was on a quiet Sunday during Christmas break for BU, so his safety was pretty well assured But I realized that perhaps someday to continue cycling, I may be riding a recumbent trike.

Hopefully by that time I will be retired, and will have the wherewithal in time and health to choose my times and routes with safety a paramount Goal.
I'm not disparaging recumbent trikes, but I am skeptical about their visibility. My otherwise one direct experience was:
… …I had promised myself as I did last year, that I would not take the participants out onto the streets of Boston, since I live downtown.

I had met Dick on two previous Annual Rides, though had not ridden with him. This year, he brought a finely crafted, low-riding recumbent tricyle. He had previously written that while slow on the uphills, it rode usual speeds on the flats and downhills. We had agreed to sign up for the metric century on Saturday...

I wear two, right and left eyeglass-mounted cycling mirrors, and I found that I could deflect the right-sided mirror slightly downwards and keep an eye on Dick without craning my neck to keep him in view.

As mentioned Dick had come with a low-riding recumbent trike from …a small, probably rural town I imagined, and now at the end of the Path we were facing the busy mean streets of downtown Boston at rush hour. I myself had never ridden most of that on-street route to the Navy Yard, but I knew we could take sidewalks…Dick, as was during the entire weekend, said “Fine, you lead the way.”

So we made our way, mostly on crowded sidewalks with some hazardous street crossings. Eventually I had to give up and go onto the streets. Dick had no problems with street riding, and actually seemed to prefer it. Later on he said it’s really no problem, and has cycled streets around the world such as Munich and London, so I realized, “What’s Boston?”

Dick's recumbent gave him a celebrity status, and attracted a lot of attention….[On the Ride] we passed a pick-your-own blueberry farm where a young boy yelled to his dad, “Look at that race car!” (Dick’s bike).

While taking a break before our retreat, another recumbent cyclist approached (not on his bike, but walking back to his Tesla). He too admired Dick’s bike, and claimed to a one-way commute of about 23 miles...

Dick revealed that he is a certified Cycling Instructor by the League of American Cyclists and taught safe, including urban, cycling to adults and children. As a decades-long, year-round urban cyclist, I proudly told him I learned by experience, and he replied, “It shows. You made some mistakes out there.”
↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-31-19 at 08:20 AM.