View Single Post
Old 01-01-20, 07:08 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by gtl
lol. Pentaxian here too. Could I check apart from the frame which you got online, all the remaining parts were bought from a regular bike shop locally? Could you recommend me your shop?

Thanks

Hey! Hi There!
Always good to find another Pentaxian around.

Unfortunately, I got a lot of problems getting the parts and most of it was bought online.
Singapore is such a small market and distributors just want to deal with best sellers to clear stock fast (and sell for more)
Local SRAM did not have SRAM Rival (they only did Force and Red) , they did not have X9 (mtb ) no 42T chainring of course.

If you are running a pure MTB groupset, then you should be fine locally with Shimano SLX, XT or XTR.
However, if you want to run a mix you will have to buy stuff online or a mix.

Do note :
1. The frame will not clear a chainring larger than 44T (smaller is fine) with a mtb spindle (larger ring teeth will rub the chainstay)
2. It needs MTB spindle length to clear the chainring from the chainstays. (So don't buy/install a road crank; this is a MTB frame after all)
The above 2 are non-issue if you just run a mtb 68mm BB+crank+smaller chainrings (MTB chainrings are largest 34T nowadays)

I really like the Rival 1x, but it does mean dealing with a online store that can ship to Singapore (most don't)
If I were to do it again, it would be Shimano due to ease of availibility.
GRX Brifters
GRX RD
GRX11-42T cassette
Shimano XT crank + 38T chainring (3rd party chainring easy bought online)

Otherwise, I'd just buy Shimano XT groupset and a flat bar with Ergon2 grips which have been the most comfortable setup I've used.

Do note that I do have the quirky need to have the bike serve as a 'road bike' for riding in road rides.
Hence, I needed quite a high gear (44T chainring + 10T smallest cog)
Depending on needs, you may be able to just have lower gearing instead.