View Single Post
Old 02-19-20, 07:56 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I like the response [MENTION=22396]Wildwood[/MENTION] left above and [MENTION=511954]dirtman[/MENTION] too, I think both are in-line with my experience. At 20, I was just under 6' 2", by the time I hit 40, on a good day I may measure 6' ½" and on current trajectory, I'm expecting to be 5' 11½" by 60. I engaged heavily in a sports and activities that led to compression (skateboarding, cliff diving, etc.)

I was always told in my earlier years to fit into the tallest thing I can manage which was more in the 61-62 range CTC. I found myself most comfortable ~59 CTC range by 30-35. This past decade I've been thinking forward, I picked up a couple of bikes in the 57-58 CTC range and equipped them to allow stretching out a bit more: 175 cranks, longer stem, etc. that way it's not too much of a PITA to make minor tweaks later if I remain on target to reach 60 under 6' tall.

It's been working out pretty well for me. The takeaway I'd share: Expect your vertical numbers to reduce, things compress with age and gravity. Just know you'll have some wiggle room. And depending on how you were taught to fit into a bike, you may want to adjust the way you look at fitment if you really want to future-proof your riding options.

Last edited by francophile; 02-19-20 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Apparently 5ft and 6ft aren't the same thing.