View Single Post
Old 02-22-20, 07:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I recommend you start with a unicycle first.
Less than 1/2 the effort.

Nope. I can't ride a unicycle.

How long will it take to make a chain?

Probably forever, but if you consider that my challenge is to omit anything that was actually made for a bicycle - by a bicycle parts manufacturer such as Shimano, Sram, etc, then its possible to use an industrial belt or chain.

Will the frame be wood? Or are you going to roll&seam tubes?

Maybe I'll use aircraft tubing. Even EMT tubing would work. It would not be lightweight or double-butted, but it would work.

Assuming this is a fixie?

It might be. I'll have to wait to see how creative I can get on the lathe.

Remember, the 2nd man to invent the wheel was stealing intellectual property.

Waaaaay before my time to care!

Final question: What, no bike co-ops nearby that could greatly use your time and skills? For a truly productive result.

The closest bike co-op is a hour away. They cater to homeless and other down-on-luck peoples. Those peoples only want Next bikes and other wally-junk. They have no desire to right a fine English 3-speed, and I have no desire to work on junk, so no. Besides that, I have my own bike shop to run.

Good luck with your project. A recumbent might be easier, if your chain making isn't too time consuming. Maybe front wheel drive?

I've given a lot of thought to building bikes for a living/hobby/pastime, but I'm getting long in the tooth for anything as serious as that now. Time to just enjoy the good things in life.

edit: searching revealed a follow-on project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtOcioXiQ8
See red text above!