JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
On most Twinns the spokes would have been Schwinn/Union .092/.080 butted. And it was Schwinn so the hubs would be custom for those spokes. Some later bikes might have gone out with normal .080/.060 but I don't remember them. Kenda tires is what you can find now in 597. Kenda has come up a lot and they are decent tires. Only rims I know of in 597 are Schwinn originals made from the same soft 1020 steel they used for everything. English market 26x1-1/4 rims are all real old and sought after. Lack of good rims and tires is a good reason to play around with sizes but 559 is still smallish.

I can remember Oscar Wastyn brazing canti mounts to a T&C that had been sent back for service. So if you want to figure out how to get cantis on there it's a time honored fix. Just took a quick look at ebay, there are 5 T&C tandems available, all reasonably priced. Back when those were current there were very few Schwinn dealers who could manage service on those if a customer did something so strange as to go and ride them. Factory routed basically all parts and service requests over to Milwaukee Ave. and Oscar. He was the one who had the S-4 rims and the S-4 (650B) tires. He could not have kept up if any significant fraction of tandem owners had been tandem users. The old tandems are all pretty shopworn but rarely are they used up.
Wow, thanks for the info! I might have a chance to visit Chicago in the next year, and it would be cool to check out that shop, just out of interest.

I like your impressions of tandem owners, and that’s exactly why this one has been hanging from the rafters for so long! So, was Oscar brazing canti mounts to those old flat blade forks? That’d certainly look interesting.