Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I laugh at the Peloton ads where people get up early to get in a quick "ride" before work. I laugh because I imagine these same people sitting in commuting traffic between their suburban homes and workplaces.

Why not just get up and ride in and be more fit and less stressed out?
Bike commuting is not for everyone, and it's not a virtue in itself. Not everyone has a safe route of manageable or worthwhile distance. Even if they do, not everyone wants to arrive at work sweaty or risk getting squished. If you are on a machine you can still be "on call" if your kids get up early or the job wants you to come in early.

Fitness, also, has a couple of purposes. One of them, the one we here would probably agree is virtuous, is keeping you able to do more and stay alive longer. But the other (the one Peloton and any other exercise machine markets to) is to be more attractive - and that's a virtue too, though we treat it as a shallower one as though it doesn't take work.

Women, in addition, usually have to do makeup and hair... but not at work. So it's at home or in the car, and then they need it to survive to the desk.
Genesis 49:16-17