View Single Post
Old 03-23-20, 01:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Yesterday morning, at 53 years old, I took my first non-trial bike ride in about 30 years, around a trail I've regularly hiked. Later in the afternoon I also went for a ride on a paved rail trail. I'm hoping to take a ride today, but's cold and raining. Hopefully I'll get a chance if the trails aren't too busy.

I've wanted to get back to riding for a long time, but I needed to drop a lot of weight before doing so. And I have. Still have a bit further to go, though, and hopefully the bike will help (especially without being able to go to a gym).

Anyway, some things I learned on the first day:
  • moderate uphill and downhill sections I was aware of while hiking are a lot more pronounced on a bike.
  • Biking uses a lot more muscles that an exercise bike. Or at least more body parts get a bit sore.
  • I should get a bike rack for my car. Removing and installing the front wheel is more involved (with risk of complications if I accidentally engage the front brake with nothing there), at least compared to my early 90s Schwinn road bike. And I broke the handlebar reflector before my first ride.
  • I need to re-learn to look behind me and not swerve, especially on the rail trail.
  • You don't need to be going that fast for it to feel much cooler.
  • It's more fun than I remembered, especially with more available trails and many options away from motor vehicle traffic.

Bonus picture on the rail trail later in the day.

Terrific!!! There’s so much to explore out there! Keep it up.