Old 04-09-20, 06:45 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
That’s interesting (your experience with the Quill). I have a set in 28 front/32 rear in polished that I was planning on asking my LBS mechanic to build up for me. He has built all my wheels for me over the last 20 years. After he builds me a set of wheels he usually says how true it stayed as he built it up and if there were any uneven spoke tension issues he ran into. My everyday A23 wheelset were 32 front / 36 rear and he used the lighter butted DT Swiss (Revolution?) spokes and alloy spike nipples. He is a proponent of just enough spoke tension. He hand stress relieves this wheels 2 or 3 times then trues as needed. But once they are ridden they typically require at least one follow up minor tension and true (there is no charge for this). Once we’re there, the A23’s have been great.

I hope your 2nd experience building up a Quill rim is better. I know the extrusion is thinner than older clincher rims but as far as I know the extrusion is pretty technical - the semi aero shape has a bit more inherent strength than a box section rim. Also I believe the extrusion is slightly thicker at the top of the curve where the spoke holes are so cracking at the spoke holes does not appear to be an issue.

I wondered if the OP is even using 700c rims? He/she doesn’t say. If it is a commuter bike then yeah, I’d be interested in hearing about the Velocity Cliffhanger.
OP mentions 700 in the title, took me a while to realize that too. The A23 I built I did 32/32 with wheelsmith DB which are 2.0/1.7 in the rear so slightly thinner then a DT and an Wheelsmith XL in the front which is the same as a revolution. Velocity recommends a max of 120kgf so on the back I went with 120 drive side so non-drive would be as high as possible. The front I only went to 105kgf, the front of course has even tension and has less weight so I only went to 110kgf. They built as perfectly as I like. I hope to have the quill built this weekend. I'm keeping an eye out on the cliffhanger to replace the cheap rims that came on my C-dale tandem since I suspect they'll be lighter and faster.