Old 04-14-20, 01:34 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 306 Posts
I had your bike's twin bought new in 1959 with paper route money. IIRC it was about $80 and just a bit more expensive than my buddy's Raleigh. And it had 27" clinchers with alloy rims (WOW!) and 2x4 gears for killer 8 speeds!!! I have no idea why I sold it.
BTW - I forgot - if you really want to be period correct you need to use plastic handlebar tape

Originally Posted by bikemig
Cool bike and welcome to the club of 60s era Olmos,

This is my Olmo Gran Sport likely also from around 1960 (at least that's the date code from the campy hubs. The bike came to me pretty much with all original parts. The only changes I've made is that I had rhm make an "Olmo" saddle and I replaced the tubulars with clinchers (Campy record hi flange, milremo rims). Mine came with an ambrosio stem and bars much like yours. The stem was too short and the bars too narrow so I swapped them out for Cinellis.

Is there a frame sticker on your bike? Mine has a Falck tubing sticker.

Here is the build thread and here is a pic. I've thought about making some of the changes that were made to your bike (Campy crank, campy NR derailleurs) but it just didn't seem right to change anything given how close to the original this bike is.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ran-sport.html

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 04-14-20 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For Steel Charlie: