BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12016 Post(s)
Liked 6,785 Times in 3,542 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
People in NYC walk far, far more than the average 'Merican - when in NYC, I never had an out of town visitor that didn't comment on walking fatigue that wasn't even a blip on my radar. But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident - I'm betting that the eyeball test wouldn't be kind.

That said, walking three miles to a specific destination in NYC is... pretty rare. You already have a metro card in your pocket - you walk a half mile to a station, you hop on the subway, hop off at a station near your destination and walk the remainder. The other difference is that walking is more often done as a matter of course or necessity throughout the day; recreational walking is more of a thing when you're living the I-only-walk-the-50-steps-to-and-from-my-car lifestyle.
When I was in high school my first job ever was as a Western Union messenger, in midtown Manhattan. 95% of the telegram destinations were within walking distance. Man, I walked my ass off over the 3 years I held that job, who knows what the total was.
Likes For BillyD: