Old 05-22-20, 09:15 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Liked 2,038 Times in 992 Posts
Looking at GP from the viewpoint of a [visual] Creative (me), and acknowledging that he is one (among many), I understand the existence of and thus appreciate the "non-normals" out there. I like a wacky idea here and there (and have had my fair share), but I am a pretty down-the-line Fast Bike guy, with all of the proportion, color, equipment, and lore that comes with it. I'm staring at my red Allez SE just off to my left as I write this. It doesn't get any better than that.

The most attractive Rivendell bike to me is their Roadeo, naturally. It's closest to my favorite form factor for a bike. And maybe that's partly informed by being a 63-65cm rider, with anything other than road or touring bikes looking properly awkward (tall vintage MTBs? Woof). Still, GP and all variations of bike frames are needed as I am not every buyer. I like fast, intense, performance-oriented stuff. Do we know what the vast majority of bike-buying people want? Yes. It's none of those things. In addition to being a peculiar guy (in ways), I can be fairly intense, with a focus on precision and sensitivity that most people don't get to. Many people don't want intense, they want or are attracted to innocuous. Rivendell bikes look innocuous. They aren't scary, mean, or intense looking; with hard angles, aggressive colors, tight clearances, and all-black components. The colors are inoffensive and the tech level low. It's mentally (if also emotionally) "accessible." They even look fun or cute or weird-in-a-good-way.

This in no way invalidates our smaller and vocal/passionate fellow riders, but continues to validate the progress of getting bikes--at least here in the US--to the point of being worth putting good money toward because the payoff is getting a properly constructed frame with proven components that will combine to make biking not only viable, but comfortable and thus fun. I'm all for that. I put swept-back bars on a Fuji Supreme for my brother. I smiled the entire 3.7 mile test ride. It was a ton of fun as it was among other things, a break from the norm. And as it was upright, it was incredibly comfortable. I may never have one of those bikes in my stable (or not one for super hilly, intense, city life), but I am a believer.

"Out there" proportions and ideas can sit around in our heads, marinating long enough for us to either adopt them in part, or in full. I am not the be-all end-all of my inspiration. I need things to be attracted to, and also to push away from. New paradigms to consider. I'll never own a new Rivendell because I don't want to pay thousands of dollars for (what I consider to be) unattractive, poorly-proportioned bikes with overly-bulbous tires mounted to uninspiring wheels that are driven by shined-up co-op level used components, but that's just this stick-in-the-mud's opinion. GP has stated that modern race bikes are overly-aggressive and mean in spirit (essentially). That tells you a lot. He's a sensitive guy! Sensitive yet strong in his opinions and resulting bicycle vision. I respect that. Thankfully I don't have to buy that. I think we all win here.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: