View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 02:09 PM
anze_awesome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Half water half brake fluid in brakes?

So my brakes are in a horrible state and I need to wait until I get the parts I need to repair them, and while I still had shimano mineral oil in the brakes, there just wasn't enough of it, and in a desperate state (I have to film a bike edit tomorrow (I have a dirt jumper)) I had to put a little bit of water in my brakes to mix with the brake fluid so my brakes at least somewhat work and I don't crash on the jump where we'll film the edit. So I know it isn't good to put water in your brakes but is there a big difference if I still had some brake fluid in the brakes and what damage can I do to my brakes?
EDIT: So I had to put a really small amount of water in because none of my friends had shimano mineral oil, and i had literary NO BRAKES, because I didn't have enough fluid in (was going to shoot a video, and it was the last day to do it, had to go on a big jump and NEEDED the brakes). I didn't have time to go to a bike shop (no car, closest one is 30min away + didn't have time). But last minute a friend suddenly found some mineral oil and I got rid of the old fluid and put that one in, and the next day went and bought some shimano mineral oil, so luckily I never even used the damn brake with some water in. Also I knew that it wasn't good to put water in, but I absolutely needed the brakes, and there was NO other option. Also yes, I realize I'm stupid

Last edited by anze_awesome; 06-08-20 at 10:11 AM.