View Single Post
Old 06-25-20, 04:08 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tacreamer
Hi Chr0m0ly,

I’ve a 84 520 and two Strichtarn NVA Sturmgepäck combat pack as well but on the rear rack! Have your packs lost their storage smell? Mine still act as a theft deterrent.

tacreamer
Mine definitely had the Milsurp odor, but it’s that leather/canvas/rubber smell. I kind of like it. Now if you get into 70’s and 80’s camping gear... the water repellent coating on older nylon packs and tents will start to decay if stored damp, or in high humidity. That smells somewhere between cat urine and baby vomit, and old milk. It’s so organic decay smelling it can knock you down from a few feet away.

The best thing I’ve found to get rid of old gear smells, is Hex Detergent, for washing poly and nylon sports clothing. It was made to get the smell out of hockey gear that was worn a few practices and stored in a locker for too long without washing.

I got a spray bottle, out in a cap full, the amount you’d put in a load of laundry, and spray it in and let dry.

I’ve tried spraying Vodka, an old costumers trick, vinegar, another solid deodorizer, I bought odor capture kitty litter, and filled the pack with that and let it sit for a few days, I put it in the sun, I froze it in the freezer... The Hex detergent succeeded where others failed. It took two or three applications, and I didn’t rinse it out. Spray, let dry, do it again. A third time if it still stinks. It got noticeably better with each application, and I use that backpack still. 👍
Likes For Chr0m0ly: