Old 07-07-20, 05:54 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Once you get your main gear ratio figured out, in this case 2:1 via the 36-15 combo, you can then play around with the secondary gearing.

Combined 36-15 equals a total T count of 51T. Therefore 24-28 equals close to the same T count (52T) and should fit the same chain/dropout distance. I probably will wind up using 22-30 when I get another 22T chainring.

22-30 is a pretty low gear range and makes the dinglespeed worthwhile IMO, unlike other double cogs systems that only vary by a few T when probably I would be unlikely to bother to swap between a small variation and just crank through instead.

Ideally the change up gearing should be where it becomes too hard to crank in the preferred ratio so that the second combo extends the range of SS further.

The application doesn't really make sense for day to day urban riding but fills a niche for SSMTB or SS touring in regions with big long hills. The route from Hope to Manning Park for example, involves a 60km climb. You just can't ride that with a SS using a gear ratio that would otherwise be suited for more horizontal travel.
Indeed--all makes sense. I was Bikecalc.com trying to figure out how I'd work it if I got one of the White Ind DOS rear cogs--they offer 16/18t, or 17/19t. I have gone up and down 1 to 2 teeth on my rear cog at times and it is for sure different, but not that big a change, not like what you describe. I'll have to figure out what to do up front....
FREEWHEEL ? White Industries