Old 08-19-20, 05:15 PM
Roger M 
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 646 Posts
Cannondale Volvo: warning(automotive content)

First off, if this post isn't acceptable for the forum, please let me know and I'll delete it.

Back in the day, some car manufacturers sponsored bicycle race teams, and a few of those ended up building a limited edition model , named after that bike manufacturer.

So far, I've learned of at least four:

Ford built a Kona edition Focus
Saab did the same with Gary Fisher wagon
VW made a Trek edition Jetta

And Volvo built 500 of these 1998 Cannondale edition V70 XC wagons. In the 90s, Volvo was a major sponsor of the Cannondale mountain bike team. I guess to commemorate that, they made these, all red, and all similarly equipped. Also included, was a coupon/voucher for a new Cannondale bicycle.

I came across this car at an estate sale. I was there looking at an old Gitane road bike. The folks that put on the sale, had several bicycles, and a lot of bike parts. The owner had passed away, and was a serious bicycle enthusiast from way back. He had in excess of 20 upper level bikes at some point.

Anyhow, I didn't know about the car until a couple of days later, when scozim went to the same sale. He told me later that they were selling a Volvo wagon. He didn't get to see it, because it was buried in the garage with several years of stuff.

Long story short, I got ahold of the sellers, and scheduled a time to see it. It had been parked in the garage for five years. Dead battery bad gas, no brakes,, etc. I ended up making a deal, and hoped to jump start it, pump up the tires, and drive it 35 miles home.

I made it two miles before a plugged fuel filter ended the trip. AAA showed up at 10pm and got me home.

So here is the car, a before and after set of pictures. It cleaned up well, but there's still some detail work to do. It is safe to say that this Volvo has lived in a garage its entire life. All of the trim and paint are in very good shape (no fading), with only a couple of door dings to deal with. The original owner never did get a free Cannondale bicycle with the car, and was pretty bent out of shape over it. I don't know the story behind that, the family didn't have much information about it.

I had to take care of several mechanical issues before it was road worthy.

Fuel filter
MAF sensor
Spark plugs
CV boot
Throttle body
Vacuum leaks(many)
Etc.

The pictures tell the story of this 1998 Volvo V70 XC Cannondale edition.

I owe more than thanks to Scott, for tipping me off to this car.

Likes For Roger M: