View Single Post
Old 09-06-20, 06:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jakeSaadoun
Hi, I road cycle but live near philadelphia pennsylvania. Theres little to no quiet roads around my area, but I want to take a road trip to a state or multiple states and ride accross quiet rual countryside roads, does anyone have any reccomendations to where I ahould go to, I dont want to be biking on trails but rather roads that have little to no traffic. Thank you!
I have previously posted about my riding experience in Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural. I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):
  • Enchanted
...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders.
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
    Furthermore, I have posted an informal cycling guide to Metro Boston with this method for finding the best roads:
    For some generalities, my favorite map is the AAA road map of metropolitan Boston [and other cities]. The size is large enough to plan century rides, yet the scale is small enough to find excellent cycling roads nicely defined by the road color and weight of the line.