View Single Post
Old 09-16-20, 07:54 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Liked 667 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
I did about 22 miles to the REI store just to pick up some bike grease. it was my longest ride I have done, maybe in my life.
I got "back on the bike" last fall, but just little rides to have coffee with the wife, nothing longer than 5 miles, then in July this year I went for a ride in the morning and for some reason got the bug, decided I would begin riding every day. We have a MUT right by the house that is a fun ride and I have been stretching it out as I feel like it. usually doing about 8-10 miles. Last week I did 15. I saw that REI was about 10.5 from the house and I used the excuse that I needed some bike grease to do that, so I set a goal of doing 20 miles. I know that most of you, from reading your posts, would think 20 miles was not a big deal, but for me it was a goal. It went OK, but I found my knees acked by the time I got back home. (I am 65) so we will do a few more 15s then do another 20, work up to 30 then a 40. New goal, do a 50-mile day by next spring.
You rule, man! Nice work! I predict that you will take that 50-mile ride in due time.

Maybe your aching knees are a result of your saddle being tad too low. Of course, a lot of other things can cause aching knees, too. And sometimes there isn't any cause--they just ache for no reason.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara: