Old 09-29-20, 07:33 AM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
I think you have it backwards. Why wear gloves? You should justify the positive action, not the passive omission. For example, I rode my bike 11 miles to the post office (round trip). Did I wear my kit? No, shorts, sandals, t-shirt. It isn't necessary to wear spandex to the post office.

I don't wear gloves when I don't need to. Under 40 miles or over 60 degrees they don't do anything for me. Longer rides, yeah, the cushioning helps. But I have nice squishy bar tape so my hands don't get tired or sore on rides under 2 hours.

When it gets cold, I put on gloves. I wear my long fingered gloves more than my fingerless "cycling" gloves.

And for what it is worth, Grant Peterson hates cycling gloves and finds them unnecessary. I believe he called them the most unnecessary cycling accessory.

Originally Posted by kimconyc
So this is another trend that I've been seeing...

What's up with the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing? I think I started this trend over a decade ago being a minimalist. But after suffering on the Gavia and living to tell about many other epic rides without major crashes where my palms could have been ripped apart I have grown older and wiser and now wear gloves.

However, I see a huge trend of many roadies around here with no gloves. I also saw this in the Peloton in this year's TdF? Why is no-gloves so cool now? Looking back I was very foolish and lucky to not have worn gloves.

Please explain and show proof of your work. There will be a test at the end.

Since the concept of this post flew over many people's heads...
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ep-seeing.html