Old 09-29-20, 12:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10607 Post(s)
Liked 12,225 Times in 6,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This would be exactly at least one major reason the manufacturers would go this route. Dealer servicing and reliance is a boon to their distribution model and distributor loyalty building. In a number of areas, buyers already have given up some things -- ie. think of proprietary seatpost shapes, 1-piece stem/handlebar systems that make an old-fashioned fitting a pricey proposition. Tubeless rim designs (becoming a default even if you want to run tubes) apparently make it really difficult for some to even change a flat tire. I understand, though haven't done it myself, that running new cables on the fully internal-routed frames is not an easy prospect. Some of the Di2 setup threads make it sound like you need a degree in computer programming. Bleeding disc brakes in my apartment isn't probably something I'd choose to try. Is servicing any of the proprietary shock absorbing systems now becoming common in the frame or headtube, an at-home type of repair? etc etc
Hmmmm. I sure hope it doesn't go the way of the Swiss watch industry and their drive to destroy the independent watchmakers. They kept raising the bar to be allowed to source parts from them - necessary training, particular lubricants, etc. making it harder and harder for the independents to be able to service any of their watches, so owners end up having to take them to Authorized Dealers, who then ship them to the Service Centers owned by the companies.

I do wonder, though, how many cyclists even do their own work anymore. A coworker bought a nice Cervelo a few years back, then a Wilier as his riding increased, but to the best of my knowledge, he doesn't even change his own tires. His approach to fixing flats is to call his wife to pick him up and then have the shop fix the tire!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles