View Single Post
Old 10-06-20, 11:26 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
This doesn't look as well made but looks similar in function:
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Outdo...000098&sr=8-79

Oddly enough, I have one of those stoves that uses the long skinny butane bottles. I actually bought it as a universal style stove as it came with the converter kit for running on propane. I use a lot of the 1lb propane bottles for general outdoor cooking etc (I bought the Flameking refillable bottles + kit a couple years ago) and that has seemed to work well. Between the single burner universal butane/propane unit and my suitcase grill/burner combo I have quite a bit of cooking options for other occasions - just not cycling/backpacking friendly.

With that having been said, with one of those remote stands and an adapter for those long skinny butane bottles I could adapt to a 1lb propane bottle also. Not sure how that would work on a cannister stove, but interesting idea.

It sounds like my 2 options are to get another bottle for white gas or throw in the cannister stove. The cannister stove would be the smallest/lightest option. Then if I get low on white gas stop somewhere and get a butane cannister. Or bring one along and use it to take some load off the white gas (less hassle to run for quicker runs as opposed to starting the white gas stove).
That Amazon link might work with either type of butane cartridge, the threaded ones that have a butane mix or the long skinny ones that usually are pure butane. If you want to experiment with propane that is your call but I would not due to the much higher pressure. And propane on a bike trip, the steel tank is quite heavy, which is why the butane mix stove canisters are much more popular for backpacking and cycle touring. I have some of those small propane cylinders for my Weber grill, empty they are still quite heavy.

If I was you, I would just get the second liter fuel bottle. Yes it adds weight and takes a bit of room in the pack, but you know you have it and you won't have to go exploring looking for fuel after the first tank is empty.

Before I retired, my vacations were a week long, it was easy to carry enough fuel for a week.

But now that I am retired, most vacations range from 2 to 6 weeks, on vacations that long I am more inclined to buy fuel along the way. My trip last summer, I had my route planned out, and along that route I knew that there was a store that I could expect to buy a threaded canister, which is what I did.