Old 10-13-20, 08:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
You are correct. Tarptent sells them in various lengths for $16/ea.

I do have trekking poles for backpacking. If I had a model tent that required them and used it biking then the optional poles (linked above) would be nice to have - surely lighter and less bulk than my trekking poles.

I also have trekking poles, but they are much longer than would fit in my panniers. If I travel light and do not have a bag on top of the rear rack, I want everything to fit in the panniers.

Initially I cut some poles from an old A frame tent that I need to dispose of some day, has not been used since the 80s. But those poles were longer than I wanted when folded.

Later I bought a new long 11mm diameter pole and some trekking pole rubber feet, that way I could cut my pole sections to the length I needed to fold them and fit in the panniers. The rubber feet are for both ends. The long pole I bought was long enough to provide several shorter poles.

I also backpack with one pole, not two, thus if I use that tent backpacking, I still need to add a pole.

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
One of my riding buddies made the comment, regarding free-standing tents, that the ones he has he can pick up and move to flatter ground if need-be.
I camped for decades with an old friend that had a large self supporting tent. We often pitched the tent and then did a final check on location by holding up one side and looking for twigs, rocks, etc., before we staked it out.

We also always carried a 10 X 10 tarp we would put up if it was raining, we could hang out under the tarp, cook on a stove under the tarp, store our gear under it, etc. And if it was raining in the morning we often carried the tent over to and under the tarp so that we could take down the tent out of the rain. The tent fly was of course soaked, but that kept the tent body drier when we folded up the tent. There were a few times in rain when we set up the tent under the tarp and then carried it to where we wanted it, that also kept the inside of the tent drier.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: