Old 10-14-20, 01:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Agreed. My West Point banana seat, high rise bar bike, new in probably 1970 or so, was $44.00 at the local True Value hardware. I think the Sting Rays were $127 or so and you had to drive to Madison to get one. But they were very cool. Everyone wanted the 5sp stick on the "console," the flat slick with either the stripe or the raised white letters. Keeping the bikes clean was paramount (pardon the pun) and of course, the baseball cards were a must. The high rise bar was very functional, as your baseball mitt or football helmet swung without interfering with the steering. The banana seat was functional in that you could carry that kid who didn't have a bike, and it served a bit as a fender when running through puddles. Not that we would.
My new coaster brake Sting-Ray in October 1969 with 5.25% sales tax was $63. rounded up with a Los Angeles bicycle license.
My three speed Stick shift was stolen in early 1968. I was advised I had to buy the next one. took 20 months of hard saving, no model cars, no hot wheels, no candy, (comic books- which I did not buy anyway) even Mad Magazine, cheap at 25 cents.) washed cars, repaired and cleaned other peoples bikes, house sat cats... coming up with the cash was a challenge.
What ticked me off is when I went to the bike shop they would not sell me the bike until they spoke to a parent. Fortunately, Mom was home.
Granted, I was 9 years old.

Parents never paid for another bike. Boosting the bike fund would have helped me buy a Masi sooner.
Likes For repechage: