View Single Post
Old 10-24-20, 10:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 3,572 Times in 1,880 Posts
Unless I had no bikes, I wouldn't buy a bike right now. if I did, I would expect to get totally worked over on the price.

When certain sports cars are really desired and production can't meet demand (or the manufacturer limits production to increase desirability,) dealers add Huge markups .... because they can. If you want one, you have to pay for one.

Bike .... well, manufacturers know that people would pay ridiculous prices even before the CCP virus .... now, when everything is in short supply, I certainly wouldn't expect any rhythm from a dealer.

Offer cash and show a wad of bills, explaining that it is X hundred less than the dealer is asking but all you have. Maybe the dealer will go for it.

If I really wanted a new bike, I would wait for a year---hopefully the world's health will have improved some by then, and the market will be glutted with people who bought bikes they stopped riding once the bars and gyms re-opened. Then, maybe leftover 2021 models might be worth the mark-up.

Right now and until next fall, I would shop used. I would be ridiculously patient, and wait for the Dentist's Special that had all the good stuff that a high-income hobbyist can afford, and which had only a few hundred miles on it. expect these will be showing up before too long.
Likes For Maelochs: