Old 10-28-20, 11:30 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Reynolds Carbon Wheels - Brake Pads Recommendations?

Hey guys -

So I recently picked up a set of Reynolds Thirty-Two full carbon wheels with a Powertap G3 hub for a friggin steal. I finally mounted them yesterday (along with Kool Stop Dura 2 Carbon Pads) and these things rip uphill like nobody's business. However, braking on a steep descent is poop-in-pants-inducing. It seems like after a few hard brakes, the pads are already deteriorating significantly, and, beyond that, braking performance is less than ideal. I have to really yank on the brakes to get a good hard stop (for example when coming down a hill with a stop-sign at the bottom)

I put the Kool Stops on there because I've had good luck with their regular pads on my alloy rims, but I'm not so sure that these are the best. I know that Reynolds has their own blue pads, but a lot of reviews aren't great. There's the Swiss Stop Black Princes for like $40 a set, which others have recommended, but people also say that these wear quickly.

What suggestions do you guys have for pads? Or is this just part and parcel of carbon wheels with rim brakes?

Thanks!