View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 05:53 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We should focus on something really important, like when is one touring and when is one bikepacking?
I would say bike packing = bags and lashing gear to the frame, fork, handlebar, stem that are not held on with racks. I would think brackets (like a pump with snap in bracket) to hold gear would still be included.

However, I think you can tour with a bikepacking rig just as well as racks + panniers in most cases. I don't think you could separate them at that point other than how you describe the rigs - not what each is doing.

Though, if you are off-road I would think bikepacking would be better - and to go lighter - as panniers held to racks might be an issue with the roughness of being off-road.

There was a tourer that did the GDMBT on a folding bike that I saw. The rider started with panniers and ditched them for the bike packing technique if I recall correctly. I think it was a Bike Friday.