Old 11-10-20, 10:00 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am well aware that running a stove under a vestibule can be a hazard and I would never do that with a liquid fuel stove that can flare up, but sometimes you want to stay in the tent in the morning for that chore instead of outside in the rain. It had rained for two days before i set up my tent at the site below, I used a newspaper to create a barrier between the mud and my stuff. I was sitting inside the tent when I took the photo, you can see the gold colored tent pole in the middle of my door that unfortunately kept getting in the way. Occasionally I have considered cutting two poles for an A frame for the front, but so far it is a low priority.

Thats a LOT of space in that vestibule. I agree - the pole where it is makes that tough to work around.

I looked at cooking in one of the vestibules (dual entry/dual vestibule - one on each side - 2 person tent) on my last trek and I just don't have the room. The vestibules don't stick out away from the tent far enough for my liking. I took the chance and cooked inside instead. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I was careful. And yes - a liquid fuel stove would be really risky, especially during the lighting pre-heat.