Old 12-03-20, 11:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 2,200 Times in 1,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Maybe it depends on where you are, but I can buy <$100 rigid mtbs with good components all day long on CL and in thrift shops. These are the basis of almost all of my project rebuilds. But that takes a little work for looking.

FWIW, I never shop of ebay as it seems to be the easy international click and buy option that drives prices up. Too many people looking at the same thing. In thrift shops or on CL/FB marketplace, the only competition are locals looking for a cheap bike or project seekers such as myself.
I can’t disagree with what you are doing. I can only relate to buying good XT/217 wheelsets for under $100 and now they are $200+ and some have way too many miles on them.

I’ve never been a craigslist/thrift store person and stripping components off bikes. It is a good technique, but just housing the current bikes and parts, along with too many surfboards, mine and our kids, just doesn’t leave a lot of extra space.

John