View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 02:07 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
@Duragrouch where do the paper towels go? Also, if you get grease or oil on your hands, how do you clean them without causing pollution?

I'm very much in favor of environmental conservation, but honestly this thread is kind of ridiculous.

I ride a bike. Steel production is environmentally hazardous. Steel fabrication is hazardous. Chrome plating is extremely hazardous. Tire manufacturing is hazardous. Tire use causes pollution.

Aluminum production is hazardous. Glue production is toxic.

I wear shoes. Shoe manufacturing is hazardous. Shoe disposal is hazardous.

Home heating is toxic. Home cooling is toxic. Farming is hazardous.

You can go on and on. And frankly, how many well-meaning environmentally conscious people hop on a jet fuel-burning aluminum tube with wings to go ride a bike in some fancy locale?

Not picking on anyone here, and my tone is far from antagonistic. But if we think our "clean" handling of WD40 is making one single difference in the scope of things, we are mistaken.
My points were not about zero pollution, but about minimizing pollution.

- A small amount of certain pollutants can make vast quantities of water undrinkable. Some pollutants are toxic at levels of Parts Per Million (PPM) or less, and those pollutants readily disperse completely in a liquid. On the other hand, the same toxin in solid form disperses much less readily, many orders of magnitude less, so are less polluting, if disposed of where rainwater cannot wash them to the sea. If I had toxins on my hands, I would wipe as much off them before washing, and if a serious or volatile toxin as above, not send wash water down the drain. But these days I tend to wear disposable gloves and include them in the hazmat waste.

Of late, it has been determined that salmon are dying near road bridges because of tire dust that blows and washes into the river below. I have known for many years that tire dust is a significant pollutant, and little is being done about it in terms of alternative materials.

When I was too young to understand the impact, I saw people draining their engine oil into a hole in the soil, or pouring it down the sewer drain, and now I know how incredibly bad that is, just to save some effort. Thankfully, used oil disposal is easy now. However the price of new oil has skyrocketed in the last decade, even when oil prices are low. I asked about it. A fellow told me that it was due to oil disposal. I asked if costs for that had increased? He said no, but one company bought up all the others and had a monopoly, and then jacked up prices. I have not yet confirmed that story.

These days, every car and truck tire purchase includes a tire disposal fee, at least in my state. And thankfully, that fee is reasonable and not gone up.