View Single Post
Old 12-23-20, 03:47 PM
Igor_M

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 E117 Disc - 2020 Mason Bokeh - 2015 Fuji Touring - 1997 Peugeot Performance 2000 - 19?? Mars trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you find yourself needing larger than a 160mm disc quite often on a road/touring/gravel bike?
I am 215# and cant remember ever wishing my 160mm rotors were larger on my gravel bike. They stop me perfectly fine.
...but I also have canti brakes on my commute/touring bike and and satisfied with those, so I clearly have easy expectations and low standards.
Full disclosure: the bike I use for touring has cantilevers too, and in all honesty I don't find much to complain about.
To clarify my stance: braking is the one area on the bike where I don't mind going overkill. In one to two years I will replace the Fuji for something else, and I won't mind slapping a 200mm front and 180mm back when the time comes.
I would also add that, personally, tourers are the one type of bike where I want to have the most flexibility in the type of components I fit onto. If a triathlon bike restricts my range of choices it's not such a big deal as when this happens with a touring bike.