Old 01-01-21, 02:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9683 Post(s)
Liked 6,407 Times in 3,517 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Came home from the hotel last night, and we no longer have ductwork, and instead of heater registers, we have plastic taped over holes. Our old broken furnace sits in its same spot, but with flue and ducts gone, it looks forlorn.

Our HVAC guy wants to put the registers in different places - which, having no ducts anymore, we could. BUT he also wants to put the unit in the attic crawlspace, which makes sense from the point of view of the physics (centralize heat/cooling and the farthest registers are no longer the length of the house away), but the idea of a gas-fired furnace in the attic of our wood frame house makes both Mrs. GeneJockey and me freak out - "I'm gonna light a fire in your attic to keep you warm!"

And yet I understand this is all the rage. And I haven't heard of any problems with it. But "fire in the attic" is a nonstarter with us. We'll see where we end up.

We have fire in the attic in our wood framed house. Three of them in fact (gas). Also, two gas fired water heaters in the attic. Had two of them in our last house. Everybody around here has them in the attic since we don’t have basements. Have never heard of it being a problem or resulting in a house fire.