View Single Post
Old 01-03-21, 04:09 AM
pinholecam

Liked 154 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Freem@n
Hi pinholecam, I love your build, and I am thinking it is very close to what my ideal bike, where I am seeking a versatile, all-round bike. Living in Singapore so I am short of space, I currently ride a heavy china Montague MTB clone and was previously looking at a Birdy as I intend to eventually tour with it but seeing your build has inspired me.

With the new bike I intend to commute to work a few times a week (storage will be outdoors in the elements), taking my toddler son out for bike rides (so a foldable bike means we can explore further), occasional trips overseas, I love all terrain riding (occasional gravel not just park connectors and road) and every now and then going long weekend night rides with my friends who are mostly roadies.

Any idea weight of your setup? I am not very technical and would love to get some advice and shop that is competent to help me achieve my dream.

Appreciate in advance!
Hi there.
Glad that the info I put here has been useful.

My build weighs about 14kg, minus the rack, suspension seatpost and leather saddle, I'd reckon it should get you to 10.5kg-11.5kg.
I do fold my bike all the time in the apartment, so its really quite easy/fast to fold once you get used to it.

The folding will also be ok, up the MRT, which I do use when I bring my kids cycling. (if riding myself, I don't take the train w/ the bike)
Ideally, I would have taken the bike to Iceland this June, but it seems like its not meant to be... , but having tried it in Penang with its rolling hills and locally on Ubin, I am confident of it being able to handle rolling terrain and trails.
I'd just drop the chainring from my current 44t to a 38t for overseas with a loaded bike.

Exposing the bike to the elements won't be a good idea.
The components will rust for sure unless you have them gunked in oil for protection.
I do ride to the office now and then w/ this bike, but I fold and store it in a common storage area.

If you want a more compact fold, do consider using straight bars instead of road bars.
The bike can actually be pushed after fold, just need to secure the handlebar with a velcro or elastic bungee (I use a cut dis-used inner tube for that)

Local shop wise, I go to Bike Stop along Thomson road.
A fellow rider I know on the local Facebook also went there to set up his ChangeBike, so I guess Bike Stop has the most hands on experience with this bike.