View Single Post
Old 01-04-21, 01:16 PM
big john

Liked 10,155 Times in 4,935 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Interesting. I have found that I actually benefit from the narrowest Q Factor I can get. I was developing Gluteus Medius pain riding the Bianchi's FSA crank last fall, and switched to the Ritchey with 7410 Dura Ace and about the narrowest Q factor of any modern crankset and it went away. I can't be certain that is what caused and cured the problem, and as a card-carrying Scientist I should be tempted to confirm it, but I already ditched the FSA for new Centaur cranks.
The Q factor was never a consideration for me but I have found that a wide Q works for me. My issue was always toe out and knee pain if I tried to fight it. If not for the pedal adapters I would not be able to use clipless pedals. The exception being when I drilled cleat mounting holes up against the inside of the soles. Of course then my foot was hanging over the outside of the pedal which was probably a factor in snapping off three pedals before I started using the adapters.

I've never used flat pedals without clips and straps but I am thinking about trying them on the mtb. Maybe some of the wide ones with traction pins. Might give me more confidence on sketchy trails.