Old 01-11-21, 01:41 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I picked up a Schwinn Continental this past spring when working out east, it had foam on the bars, and I really liked it, especially nice in the drops where more weight was on my hands...
Bar foam, also known as Grab-Ons; I LOVED Grab-ons! Hard to find, last I looked. Started using when I got nerve pain in my hands from 3 hours of biking every evening. Went from drop bars to bullhorn, tilted up about 30 degrees with foam, and the thickest foam palm gloves I could find. Did very neat installation, cut tiny hole for brake handles to grab the band clamp inside the foam, totally covered by the hoods, even routed the brake cables inside the foam, looked great. (Tip for installing foam: Shave cream on the inside, they slide on, dries hard, at least it worked great with gel shave stuff.)

A year later I added first model Scott clip-on aero bars with forearm cup spaces to elevate to a comfortable height, that took all the pressure off my hands, when I could be on the aeros, which was only about half the time. Later, I bought a LWB recumbent for touring, but my gripe there is zero ability to stand on the pedals so more knee stress during climbing, I went back to conventional bikes, plus, long bents are a bear to get in and out of the apartment, especially stairs, if you don't have a garage to keep it in..

I still use high-mounted clip-on aero bars to prevent hand damage on long rides.