Old 01-11-21, 08:43 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
All hail the 11-tooth cog! With a 52 chainring, it gives my 20" wheel folder a tall enough top gear to preclude the need for an internal hub gear as an overdrive (like they need on a Brompton with much smaller wheels), which greatly increases annual maintenance costs in rainy places (needs annual teardown and lube with marine grease). Not tall enough to bomb down hills, I need to coast, but that's OK. But yes, it's not a "road" bike in the true sense. But come to think of it, the 650c Litespeed set up for triathlons I found for a friend, definitely a road bike, probably needs/has an 11, I can't recall the smallest cog, I'll have to look.

I'm also a fan of triple cranks with a moderate cassette instead of single crank with a megarange. Including road triples; It adds so little weight, but it's really handy on very long climbs when you run out of wheaties. I converted my '89 road bike to a triple, best thing I ever did.

I understand there are Q factor issues, especially with wider BB shells on some carbon bikes. But Triples to me, even with the less precise shifting as rear derailleurs, are simpler, less prone to damage, and a great solution for riders wanting that bail-out gear ratio when climbing. I think a triple is almost a requisite for touring bikes for loaded tours.
Likes For Het Volk: