View Single Post
Old 02-03-21, 01:11 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
1979 310

Last year at this time I refurbished a beautiful '79 710 that was complete with all its original components. As a 24" frame it was too small for me and I reluctantly passed it on to another Trek enthusiast to enjoy.

Early December I found a 25-1/2" 310 in the C&V craigslist thread on BF. The 310 was never really offered in the catalog but many are known to exist. Basically it's similar to the earlier TX300 with the same pressed fork crown and built with butted Ishiwata Hi-ten tubing.

This particular 310 was well loved (and treated like a high-end bike) by a couple of owners before me. Has lots of patina but no dents or rust. I wet-sanded and polished the frame before touching up the paint chips by hand with a custom mix based on an old BMW touch-up tube. Used a rust inhibitor on the inside of the frame.

I changed the bar and stem to Nitto Technomic and B135 Randonneur to give my old back a fighting chance. Other than a NOS Brooks Pro, cables, housing and a new chain all other components came with the bike. Everything was throughly cleaned, polished and serviced.
Will wrap the bar after I get a chance to test ride it.

Campagnolo Nuovo Record Pat. 76 derailleurs, shifters, cable guide (NOS) and seat post.
Ofmega Super Competizione crankset, Suntour 13-26 6 speed freewheel, Edco cartridge bearing bottom bracket.
Performance sealed bearing (cartridge) hubs (Suntour Cyclone?) laced to Mavic MA2 36h rims with DT double butted spokes. (replaced tubulars 20 years ago)
Diacompe 500 brakes and drilled levers. (new hoods) Scott Mathauser pads. (re-surfaced but still soft) New Diacompe brake cable guides.
Barelli B-25 pedals (NOS V-O half clips)
Shimano 600 EX headset
Tires are NOS ebay specials. Placeholders until I decide on permanent ones.
Added accessories: Vintage Berthoud bag, Zefal HP pump, REG umbrella clip, REG bottle cage, (curved bottom) New V-O cage clamps.