Old 02-10-21, 10:03 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I had a Hawk Racing BB86 installed on my Colnago CRS when I purchased the bike new. Two months, and roughly 2,000 miles, after I got the bike the BB started creaking. My LBS did everything they could to keep it from doing so but couldn't get it stop. The BB on this bike fits into a brass shell and not directly into the carbon fiber so it should not have started creaking so soon. I replaced the Hawk Racing with the BB you linked to except with ceramic bearings. That was three years and 28,000 miles ago.The BB is just as tight, quiet and smooth as the day it was installed. If I ever get another new bike with press fit bearings, they will be replaced with a Wheels Mfg BB on day one.
I had two 2017 CRS frames. The BB presses directly into carbon fiber. At the time, I was using Campy drivetrains. Campy cranks have bearings mounted to the spindles and empty cups that press into the frame. I greased the Campy cups when pressing them in, rather than using loctite. I heard a little creaking, but creaks can also come from other places, like the rear skewer not being tightened enough on a rim brake frame. If I still had Campy cranks, I'd probably try the BB infinite solution. https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...ant=9864643843

Now using Shimano cranks with my AXS drivetrain, the thread together BBs seem to be the perfect solution and less expensive than the BB infinite.