Old 02-14-21, 01:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4878 Post(s)
Liked 4,042 Times in 2,621 Posts
Originally Posted by CarGuy
Thanks for the great info Ben.

I did get some serious shoulder muscle pain simply from remaining in the same position for 1 hour and I was also unconsciously using my arms to unweight from the seat during high rpm intervals. For that reason (sore shoulders) I was avoiding any more nose-down than I already have. I can easily try a bit more nose-down though since I have a 2-bolt seatpost (Deda makes a nice one also). The top of my saddle is the same height as the top of my stem so my position is more upright to begin with and my saddle has a cutout. I am trying a wider saddle with a groove that helps with my sit bones but not my perineum. Time to experiment a bit more.

Did you try a nose-less saddle?

Cheers!
I haven't tried a nose-less and probably never will. I'm an ex-racer who has always used the entire lenght of a standard racing saddle. A seat with no nose is a seat that is useless when "riding the rivet". (Riding the rivet is a old term for perching on the very nose of the saddle when going very hard. With traditional leather seats, you are literally sitting on the rivets attaching the leather to the saddle frame. I don't ride traditional leather saddles for exactly that reason! I want a degree of comfort when I'm there.)

Edit: Traditional saddles also offer a degree more control of the bike, especially when slid forward or riding without both hands on the handlebars. Something I take for granted and am unwilling to give up. (I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-14-21 at 01:09 PM.