Old 02-14-21, 01:54 PM
CarGuy

Bikes: 1981 Marinoni Special SL, 1989 Pinarello Montello SLX, 2005 Trek FX1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I haven't tried a nose-less and probably never will. I'm an ex-racer who has always used the entire lenght of a standard racing saddle. A seat with no nose is a seat that is useless when "riding the rivet". (Riding the rivet is a old term for perching on the very nose of the saddle when going very hard. With traditional leather seats, you are literally sitting on the rivets attaching the leather to the saddle frame. I don't ride traditional leather saddles for exactly that reason! I want a degree of comfort when I'm there.)

Edit: Traditional saddles also offer a degree more control of the bike, especially when slid forward or riding without both hands on the handlebars. Something I take for granted and am unwilling to give up. (I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks.)
Agreed. I am a bit apprehensive of trying a nose-less saddle. I never raced but I used to log many spirited miles on what was considered a racing bike at the time (the Marinoni I still ride today). I am far too bulky to ever have been a climber but as a skier and hockey player I might have done well on the track. I did try the velodrome a long time ago and if it was in my town I would have joined the club that raced there.