View Single Post
Old 03-10-21, 10:13 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Wish I could buy it from you, love the p1800, happily I just bought a Mazda MX5 so no more cars for me for a while. I'm a bit of a heathen though, I'd want to put a 5cyl turbo with a 5sp in it, the engine in them just don't do the car justice. But a b5254 with a turbo spooling to 8psi with a limited slip would make it move.
for sure. I’ve seen some pretty cool resto mods on these.
I’m quite happy with mine - it’s a 1970
1800E, the first year with fuel injection and 130hp, which is surprisingly fun. Mine’s up to date with suspension (Bilstein HD, anti sway bars, poly bushings, etc) so it handles great.
I’ve owned and driven far more powerful/capable cars, but have determined that I’m in the “it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow” camp.

Two cars helped get me to that conclusion: my C30, and an extended test drive in a 2016 Porsche Cayman S. Both cars seemed to make triple digit speeds a very frequent and sudden reality.
I know myself enough to know I enjoy a spirited drive, and such cars would almost certainly land me in jail.

I “get” upgrading and modifying / tuning cars.
I will forevermore appreciate such works as a spectator.

One of the coolest 1800 resto-mods that I’ve seen utilized a performance tuned rotary engine, 5 sp and LSD (among other things)