Old 03-19-21, 07:49 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jester_s1
So pardon the handholding I'm asking for, but I don't want to have to return anything.
Questions:

1. The wheel recommended above by travbikeman says it's for 8 or 9 speed cassettes, but my bike has 7 speed Shimano Tourney shifters. I'm well aware these are entry level parts, but as long as they work I'll keep them. So can I use a 7 speed cassette on this wheel, or do I need to get something different?
2. It's not obvious to me how to tell the width of these wheels so I can match it to my front and get the right tires. How do you tell?
3. Tire and tube recommendations? Do tubes even matter? I've heard good things about Continental Gator Skins and don't mind paying for less rolling resistance and better durability.
4. anything else I need to know?
Looking further at the link I sent, there are some questions and answers on the site. One was about 7 speeds and the answer is a yes, it will need a spacer, but it will work.

Also, this does not come with a Shimano hub, not sure why it's listed. But reviewers are saying it comes with the Wheelmaster hubs. The picture of the wheel also shows Wheelmaster hubs. Not sure why the seller listed it as Shimano.

I had the Wheelmaster hubs. They are not bad. But did find mine after nearly 2 years of usage, needed the bearings to be repacked or re-greased. When I learned via youtube how to do this myself and repacked them, I had found that the manufacturer really didn't put much grease into the hubs. Once I repacked them, they rode really well.

Figuring out which wheels, you will need to look at what you currently have and just make sure you have the same size. This is your homework to do by looking at the bikes spec's. Others might post here helping you more than I will on this.

I have found tubes do matter. The super cheap tubes, are well...cheap. I find spending a bit more for quality tubes means less flats. I personally like Continental tubes the most and have not had issues with those tubes.

For a hybrid and the way you are telling us how you will ride, I would suggest getting a tire not much less than 700x38, would not at all go less than 700x35's. But this is my personal opinion. Going larger tires as long as the bike will fit them, may be more comfortable for riding. The smaller the tire, the higher pressure you need to use and the harsher the ride. It's one of the several reasons I had switched to a 700x42 tires since I can put these at lower pressure on the rails to trails I ride and it offers more traction and comfort. But, my hybrid bike can fit this size of tire.