WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Giant SLR-1 wheels (hookless - 19.4mm).

I was asking if a specific tire on a hooked rim had a different width than on a similar rim (same size, same width) but hookless design because Giant says (see below) that I have 28mm tires, but the actual size of my tires are 700x25c. If I get 700x28c instead, will I actually have wider tires than 28mm?
  • Tires
    CADEX Road Race, tubeless, 700x28mm (25c), folding
Again, it depends. Where is the manufacturer measuring internal width - between the hooks or under them? Which tire manufacturers? Etc. What I can say is that the nomenclature that Giant is using for those tires isn't standard and they're confusing the matter instead of clarifying it.

Regardless, the Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix are made for 19mm int width rims, making them very narrow by the standards of only a couple years ago, and should measure out close to their nominal size on your wheels. Will the POEA in 28mm be wider than 28mm on your rims? Maybe a hair. Is your clearance that tight that it wouldn't accommodate 29 or 30mm actual? If you've got the room, just try it out. I only got 2.5k-3k miles out of my rear POEA, so if try them out and if you decide to go with the 25mm next time, take two or three months to get their tread life out of 'em and move on.
Likes For WhyFi: